Entries to the 2020 Beautiful Bizarre Art Prize have officially closed, and the judging process is underway. Our sincere thanks to all of the artists and photographers that entered – we are thrilled to have received such exceptional entries this year!
As well as discovering a host of amazing new artists, it is wonderful to see artists who entered in 2018 and 2019 entering again this year. It’s a delight to see the ongoing evolution of their work.
2020 has been a difficult year for us all, so it is interesting to see a number of entries touching on poignant current themes, including the worldwide pandemic. Delving into different artists’ responses to these themes has been thought provoking. As well as discovering a host of amazing new artists, it is wonderful to see artists who entered in 2018 and 2019 entering again this year. It’s a delight to see the ongoing evolution of their work.
Artists from 69 different countries entered the Beautiful Bizarre Art Prize.
We have received entries from around the world, with artists from 69 different countries submitting their work to the 2020 Beautiful Bizarre Art Prize. We received entries from artists in: Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Barbados, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Korea, Republic of, Latvia, Lesotho, Lithuania, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, Netherlands Antilles, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom and the United States.
Entries were received in various Traditional mediums across the fields of painting, drawing, collage, art dolls, installation, fibre art, embroidery and mixed media. We have received sculptures in multiple mediums including metal, wood, resin, clay, found objects and even human hair! The Digital Art category has seen an array of digital painters, digital sculptors, digital 3D artists and photomanipulation artists enter. And last but not least, the Photography category provided the opportunity for fine art photographers from around the world to enter both their digital and analogue photography.
Thanks to this process, our Editor-in-Chief Danijela Krha Purssey and her team have discovered a remarkable amount of amazing new talent, some of which we look forward to sharing with you over the coming weeks and months! You can check out last year’s People’s Choice Award Winner, My Pet Skeleton‘s editorial in the coming September issue of Beautiful Bizarre Magazine. The December issue will feature a special editorial presenting the Winner of the 2020 Beautiful Bizarre Art Prize and the Winners in each category. Purchase a print subscription now to make sure you don’t miss out on these and many other inspiring stories.
Judging has now commenced by this year’s Jury Panel: Beautiful Bizarre Co-Founders, Danijela Krha Purssey and Richard Purssey, Directors of Modern Eden Gallery, Kim Larson and Bradley Platz, New England Regional Art Museum, Gallery Director, Rachael Parsons; representatives from our major partners: INPRNT, Founder Joshua Zika, Pixologic (ZBrush), Founder Ofer Alon, Yasha Young Projects, Founder Yasha Young, and the Director of Licensing at iCanvas, Elizabeth Lvovski. These are joined by esteemed contemporary artists: Hannah Yata (Traditional Art juror), Ellen Rogers (Photography juror), Kate MacDowell (Sculpture juror) and Rafael Grassetti (Digital Art juror) who will be reviewing work in their respective areas of expertise.
As you can imagine, this is NOT an easy job with so many exceptional entries in all categories! Stay tuned for the big reveal soon.
- Winner of the 2020 Beautiful Bizarre Art Prize
- INPRNT Traditional Art Award
- Yasha Young Projects Sculpture Award
- ZBrush Digital Art Award
- iCanvas Photography Award
- People’s Choice Award
Timeframes & Deadlines
- 31 July 2020 [midnight Los Angeles, USA time]: Entries close
- 10 – 15 August 2020: Judging
- 17 August onward: Shortlist of 100 Finalists [25 per Award category] announced
- 24 August [AEDT, Australian Eastern Daylight Time]: People’s Choice voting opens
- 31 August [AEDT, Australian Eastern Daylight Time]: People’s Choice voting closes
- 1st week of September: Winners announced
- 1 Sept: Yasha Young Projects Sculpture Award Winners announced
- 2 Sept: iCanvas Photography Award Winners announced
- 3 Sept: ZBrush Digital Art Award Winners announced
- 4 Sept: INPRNT Traditional Art Award Winners announced
- 5 Sept: Beautiful Bizarre Art Prize 1st Prize Winner, Honourable Mentions & People’s Choice Winner announced
- 24 Oct – 13 Nov 2020: Beautiful Bizarre curated exhibition ‘Midnight Garden’ at Modern Eden Gallery, San Francisco. (Note: Prize winners are expected to exhibit a work in the ‘Midnight Garden’ exhibition in October 2020 at Modern Eden Gallery in San Francisco.
Until then, enjoy some of the wonderful entries below…